Monday, January 7, 2013

Pin #2-CD/DVD Scratch Removal

Please note, you will never see the front of the disc that I am working on.  Just like anyone else, my musical past is riddled with embarrassing music choices, and quite frankly, my husband judges me enough for it.  I will however give you a hint, it rhymes with "tubatank".  Don't judge me!

CD/DVD Scratch Removal
http://pinterest.com/pin/61431982388104687/ 
http://thehandmadedress.blogspot.com/2008/09/do-you-suffer-from-scrached-dvds_27.html
Difficulty Rating: 2
Overall Satisfaction Rating:

It's safe to assume that if there was any type of organized association to protect the safety of CD's, my right to purchase them would have been revoked a loooooong time ago!  But, luckily for me, there isn't, so I have had the ability to use and abuse many discs over the years.  So, when I pinned this pin a while back I was very excited at the idea of being able to repair these $12-$14 musical gems for very little money.


All you need to fix the scratches in video games, DVD's and CD's is your scratched disc and kid's toothpaste.  I do want to point out, this is the exact toothpaste in the picture as is recommended by the blog that is pinned.


Dot the toothpaste on the disc and simply rub in a circular motion.  In the picture I used five dots, my second time through doing this I found that three dots of toothpaste is plenty.  When rubbing the toothpaste it does require a good amount of pressure.


 Rinse the toothpaste off and dry with a soft, dry cloth.  I found Viva paper towels were perfect for this step because of how soft they are.


Next, I put the CD in our laptop (because my husband pointed out we don't own a CD player. Yes, we ARE that cool and technologically advanced) to play the disc and rejoice that my negligence was easily fixed.  Unfortunately, this is where my low "Over all Satisfaction" rating comes in.  After the first time through, my disc still skipped, a lot!  So I tried again, with a less damaged disc.  My second attempt was successful, and the scratched CD played as well as the day I bought it.

Being ever optimistic, I went back to the original disc and tried two more times to buff the scratches out.  Sadly enough, the CD never played without skipping.  Because this method is so inconsistent, I had to give it a lower star rating. 

I will definitely try this on my (many) other scratched discs, because the tube of kids toothpaste cost $1.00, so there really is not cheaper way to repair a CD.

For full instructions please visit the pin link found under the title of this blog entry.
If you have a pin you'd like me to try, or you try this pin and want to share your experience, I'd love to hear about it in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment